(COLUMBUS, OH)– Media are invited to join the Ohio History Connection, the James Preston Poindexter Foundation and the City of Columbus on Thursday, October 12 as we begin the process to transform the two remaining Poindexter Village buildings into a public history museum.
Poindexter Village was dedicated by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on October 12, 1940 as one of the nation’s first public housing projects. Celebrate over 70 years of Poindexter Village history with community leaders as they share the remarkable history and ongoing story of this important place.
Reita Smith, James Preston Poindexter Foundation President
Councilmember Pricilla R. Tyson
Mayor Andrew J. Ginther
Robert Lucas, Ohio History Connection Board President
Media can join Mayor Andrew J. Ginther, Robert W. Lucas and Reita Smith on a tour of a Poindexter Village building following the remarks. Poindexter Village is located at 290 N. Champion Ave. in Columbus. For more information, contact Emmy Beach, Ohio History Connection Public Relations Manager at [email protected]
Ohio History Connection
The Ohio History Connection, formerly the Ohio Historical Society, is a statewide history organization with the mission to spark discovery of Ohio’s stories. As a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization chartered in 1885, the Ohio History Connection carries out history services for Ohio and its citizens focused on preserving and sharing the state’s history. This includes housing the state historic preservation office, the official state archives, local history office and managing more than 50 sites and museums across Ohio. For more information on programs and events, visit ohiohistory.org.
Poindexter Village was named in honor of the Rev. James Poindexter, a minister, civil rights activist and community leader who became the first black member of Columbus’s City Council and Board of Education in the late 1800s. The village was dedicated by President Franklin Roosevelt on Oct. 12, 1940 as one of the nation’s first public housing projects. This community represents the birth and history of public housing in this country and reflects Ohio’s place in the national story of the Great Migration.