Online Mapping System
The Online Mapping System is a GIS web application designed to provide qualified professionals with instant access to State Historic Preservation Office data. The site allows users to query and view maps of State Historic Preservation Office inventory data, create maps and export tabular data. The intention of this site is to promote the utility of GIS and spatial data as decision support tools for federal undertakings subject to Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act and for scholarly research on Ohio history, architecture and archaeology. Subscribers to the Online Mapping System have the right to view and obtain information about cultural resources in Ohio and the responsibility to protect spatial information on sensitive archaeological and historic resources.
- Create and Export Customized Maps
- Easily Collect UTMs
- Plot and Label Sites
- Create and Export Shapefiles
- Save and Email Your Work to Others
Available data includes:
- National Register of Historic Places (all listings as points)
- National Register Historic Districts (all districts as polygons)
- Ohio Historic Inventory
- Ohio Archaeological Inventory
- PDFs of Inventoried buildings, sites and National Register listings
- Previously Surveyed Areas (archaeology and historic structures)
- Ohio Historic Markers (points and link to related data)
- Locally-Designated Landmarks and Districts (as available)
- Interested Parties
Access to the site's basic tools and data, as well as the location of properties listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is available to all users. However, access to Ohio Historic Inventory and the Ohio Archaeological Inventory data is limited to approved subscribers, which is generally limited to agencies, scholars and professionals in historic preservation.
Following subscription, authorized users must register and create a username and password. Registration information is verified and accepted by the State Historic Preservation Office before your account is activated. Please allow five business days for the subscription and registration process. The State Historic Preservation Office reserves the right to limit access to the Online Mapping System.
Historic County Atlases
A collection of historic county atlases for Ohio counties from the late 19th and early 20th centuries.