The Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office Honors Outstanding Historic Preservation Accomplishments
COLUMBUS–Outstanding historic preservation achievements in communities throughout Ohio were honored at the Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office Awards at the Ohio History Center, 800 E. 17th
Avenue in Columbus on Saturday, October 24.
Celebrating 33 years of recognizing special accomplishments in historic preservation, the Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office Awards have been presented annually since 1983 on the basis of nominations submitted from throughout the state.
Awards are presented in two categories: Public Education and Awareness, and Preservation Merit.
This year’s honors went to recipients from nine communities across Ohio:
Public Education and Awareness
Cincinnati Preservation Association and the Cincinnati Museum Center
for the exhibit Saving Buildings Together: 50 Years of Cincinnati Preservation
Historic Gateway Neighborhood Corporation
for its Take a Hike
downtown Cleveland walking tours
Ball State University’s Applied Anthropology Laboratories
for increasing public awareness and interest in the preservation and protection of the battlefield at Fort Recovery
City of Cleveland and City Architecture for preserving and interpreting the 1891 League Park site at 6601 Lexington Avenue in Cleveland
Sustainable Communities Associates, Dimit Architects, Naylor Wellman, LLC, Lewin & Associates, and Turner Construction Company for rehabilitation of the 1930 Fairmont Creamery Ice Cream Building for mixed commercial use
Famicos Foundation, City Architecture, Marous Brother Construction and Ted Sande, AIA Emeritus for rehabilitation of the 1922 Sovereign Hotel at 1575 East Boulevard in Cleveland as University Tower Apartments
Thomas Gillespie for the rehabilitation of historic buildings on West 25th Street, Detroit Avenue and Jay Avenue in Cleveland’s Ohio City neighborhood
New Village Corporation, Cleveland Neighborhood Progress and Noble Preservation Services, Inc. for the rehabilitation of St. Luke’s Hospital at 11311 Shaker Boulevard in Cleveland as St. Luke’s Manor
Association of College and University Housing Officers – International, ROI Realty Services, Inc. and M. Warner Construction for rehabilitation of Orton Memorial Laboratory at 1445 Summit Street in Columbus
Cristo Rey Columbus High School, Schooley Caldwell Associates, Benjamin D. Rickey & Company and Corna Kokosing Construction Company for rehabilitation of the former Ohio Institution for the Education of the Deaf building at 400 East Town Street in Columbus as Cristo Rey High School
Friends of the Flagpole Association and Ravenna Township Trustees for the restoration of the 1893 flagpole in Ravenna
Belmont County Commissioners; Chambers, Murphy & Burge and Belmont College’s Building Preservation/Restoration Program for rehabilitation of the 1890 Belmont County Sheriff’s Residence at 101 East Main Street in St. Clairsville
Scioto County Engineer, Otway Historical Society, Jones-Stuckey, Ltd, JA Barker Engineering and The Righter Company, Inc. for rehabilitation of the Otway Covered Bridge in Otway
St. Raphael Catholic Church and Millennium Preservation Group for the exterior restoration of St. Raphael Catholic Church at 225 East High Street in Springfield
Washington Court House
Community Action Commission of Fayette County, The Woda Group and Chambers, Murphy & Burge Restoration Architects for rehabilitation of the 1913 Washington School at 318 N. North Street in Washington Court House as Washington School Apartments
About the Awards
The Public Education and Awareness Award is for increasing interest in historic preservation. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, media, newsletters, publications, interpretation, original research, educational programs and special events which have substantially increased public understanding and awareness of historic preservation at the local, regional or state level.
The Preservation Merit Award is for preserving Ohio’s prehistory, history, architecture or culture. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, restoring, rehabilitating or otherwise preserving an important building or site, longtime stewardship of a property, promoting protective legislation, funding preservation projects, offering leadership, support or service and furthering preservation at the local, regional or state level.
The Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office is Ohio’s official historic preservation agency. It identifies historic places in Ohio; nominates properties to the National Register of Historic Places; reviews federally-assisted projects for effects on historic, architectural, and archaeological resources in Ohio; qualifies communities for the Certified Local Governments program and administers a program of matching grants to them; consults on the conservation of older buildings and sites; and offers educational programs and publications.
Ohio Historical Society is now Ohio History Connection
On May 24, 2014, the Ohio Historical Society changed its name to the Ohio History Connection. Established in 1885, this nonprofit organization provides a wide array of statewide services and programs related to collecting, preserving and interpreting Ohio’s history, archaeology, architecture and natural history through more than 50 sites and museums across Ohio, including its flagship museum, the Ohio History Center in Columbus. For more information about programs and events, call 800.686.6124 or go online at www.ohiohistory.org.