Posted March 1, 2015
“Building Doctors” Will Be Making Rounds in Greenhills
March 12-13, 2015
(COLUMBUS, OH)— The Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office and Greenhills Historical Society will sponsor a Building Doctor Clinic for old-building owners in Greenhills, Ohio on March 12-13, 2015.
The clinic features Building Doctors Mariangela Pfister and Justin Cook of the Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office. It begins with a free seminar on Thursday evening, March 12, from 7-9 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the Community Building at 8 Enfield St., Greenhills. The seminar is open to all and will feature guidelines for renovation projects and ways to solve some of the most common problems of buildings dating from 1800 to 1955.
On Friday, March 13, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m., the Building Doctors will visit pre-1955 buildings within five miles of Greenhills, advising owners on specific technical problems by appointment. The “doctors” examine all kinds of older buildings. Some of the things that typically call for an on-site examination include persistent peeling paint or flaking plaster, a wet basement or deteriorating masonry and plans for additions.
Pfister, technical preservation services manager for the Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office, reviews applications for federal and state historic rehabilitation tax credits and manages the Building Doctor program. She has a Master of Arts degree in History from The Ohio State University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in History, English and secondary education from Capital University.
Cook, history reviews manager for the State Historic Preservation Office, reviews federally-assisted projects for effects on historic properties. He has a bachelor’s degree in classics from the University of Pittsburgh and a master’s degree in historic preservation from the University of Vermont, with post-baccalaureate studies in history at the University of North Florida and urban and regional planning at the University of Florida.
The seminar and on-site consultations are free with advance registration. To register, visit www.building-doctor.org or call 800.499.2470 or 614.298.2000. You can also contact Chris Russo at 513.888.7218.
The Building Doctor program is made possible in part by a grant from the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Historic Preservation Fund, administered by the Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office. Each clinic is also made possible by support from local cosponsors.
The Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office
The Ohio History Connection’s State Historic Preservation Office is Ohio’s official historic preservation agency. It identifies historic places in Ohio, nominates properties to the National Register of Historic Places, reviews federally-assisted projects for effects on historic, architectural, and archaeological resources in Ohio, consults on conservation of older buildings and sites and offers educational programs and publications.
Ohio Historical Society is now Ohio History Connection
On May 24, 2014, the Ohio Historical Society changed its name to the Ohio History Connection. Established in 1885, this nonprofit organization provides a wide array of statewide services and programs related to collecting, preserving and interpreting Ohio’s history, archaeology and natural history through more than 50 sites and museums across Ohio, including its flagship museum, the Ohio History Center in Columbus. For more information about programs and events, call 800.686.6124 or go online at www.ohiohistory.org.