Ohio History Connection Logo

Quaker Yearly Meeting House

Visit the first Quaker yearly meeting house west of the Alleghenies, a National Historic Landmark associated with the antislavery movement
Share this page:
  • Address
    Contact Information
  • Admission
    • Tour of Six Buildings: $15/adult
    • Children 6-13 : $7
    • Children under 6 : Free
    • Adult (Meeting House only): $6
    • OHC Member (Meeting House only): Free
    • Active Military (Meeting House only): Free

    April–October
    By Appointment Only

    Garden Tours
    First Saturday & Sunday of August:
    1 p.m.–7 p.m.

    Groups of 20 or more and special events receive $1.00 discount

    Handicapped Accessibility: Ohio History Connection strives to meet ADA requirements. However, historic structures and outdoor areas provide challenges that make it difficult to provide complete access to all visitors. Please call the site with specific questions and concerns or visit www.themuseumofceramics.org for more information.

  • Historical Topics
    • Settlement & Statehood
    • Historic Preservation
    • African American History
    Regions
    • Northeast Ohio
    • Southeast Ohio
    Audiences
    • All Audiences

Visit

Tour the first Quaker yearly meeting house west of the Alleghenies. Designed by Rev. Jacob Ong and completed in 1814, it served as a gathering place for Quakers from a large region and was the center of Mount Pleasant, Ohio, a largely Quaker community that was important in the antislavery movement. During your visit, speak from the balcony to your tour guide on the first floor to hear and fully appreciate the acoustics. Average visit time: Allow 30 minutes

History

Built in 1814, Mount Pleasant's Quaker Yearly Meeting House was the first Quaker yearly meeting house west of the Alleghenies. It is part of the Mount Pleasant Historic District, a National Historic Landmark district for its association with the history of the Quakers, the antislavery movement and the Underground Railroad. Mount Pleasant's Quaker Yearly Meeting House became the responsibility of the Ohio History Connection in 1950. It has recently been restored to preserve it for future generations and to better illustrate the rich heritage of Mount Pleasant and its role in Ohio and American history.

The Quaker Yearly Meeting House is managed locally by the Mount Pleasant Historical Society.