Masks are no longer required but please practice social distancing whenever possible.
Visit this early Ohio church, a Federal-style architectural landmark by master builder Lemuel Porter. Finished in 1825, it features a two-story portico and one-hundred-foot-high steeple with a weathervane. Little-changed from when it was built, Tallmadge Church would be equally at home on a New England green and is a reminder of northeast Ohio’s New England heritage. Average visit time: Allow 30 minutes
The Rev. David Bacon founded the community of Tallmadge in 1807 and the Congregational Church of Tallmadge in 1809. In 1819, a committee of seven men developed plans for the church building and appointed one of their members, Lemuel Porter, as the architect and builder. Porter’s design included a wood brace-framed church featuring a two-story portico with four large columns and a one-hundred-foot steeple with a copper weathervane. Construction started July 1, 1822. It took three years to build the church, which was dedicated Sept. 8, 1825.
The congregation, which moved to a new facility on Heritage Drive in 1969, gave the historic church building on Tallmadge Circle to the Ohio History Connection in 1971.
Tallmadge Church is managed locally by the City of Tallmadge.