2015 State Historic Preservation Office Awards


2015 State Historic Preservation Office Awards

Fifteen outstanding historic preservation achievements will be recognized at the 34th annual State Historic Preservation Office Awards Luncheon. You are invited to attend the luncheon and learn more about these achievements as we honor this year’s recipients.

The 2015 awards will be presented on Saturday, October 24, from 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Ohio History Center in Columbus. A guided tour highlighting the brutalist architecture of the center will be offered at 11:30 by architectural historian and Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer for Inventory and Registration, Barbara Powers. The luncheon will commence at noon. Registration is $30. Please call 614.298.2000 to register.

The 2015 State Historic Preservation Office Awards recipients are: 

Public Education and Awareness

Ball State University’s Applied Anthropology Laboratories for increasing public awareness and interest in the preservation and protection of the battlefield at Fort Recovery

Cincinnati Preservation Association and the Cincinnati Museum Center for the exhibit Saving Buildings Together: 50 Years of Cincinnati Preservation
Historic Gateway Neighborhood Corporation for its Take a Hike downtown Cleveland walking tours

Historic Gateway Neighborhood Corporation for its Take a Hike downtown Cleveland walking tours 

Preservation Merit

Association of College and University Housing Officers – International, ROI Realty Services, Inc. and M. Warner Construction for rehabilitation of Orton Memorial Laboratory at 1445 Summit Street in Columbus

Thomas Gillespie for the rehabilitation of historic buildings on West 25th Street, Detroit Avenue and Jay Avenue in Cleveland’s Ohio City neighborhood

Belmont County Commissioners; Chambers, Murphy & Burge and Belmont College’s Building Preservation/Restoration Program for rehabilitation of the 1890 Belmont County Sheriff’s Residence at 101 East Main Street in St. Clairsville

Scioto County Engineer, Otway Historical Society, Jones-Stuckey, Ltd, JA Barker Engineering and The Righter Company, Inc. for rehabilitation of the Otway Covered Bridge in Otway

St. Raphael Catholic Church and Millennium Preservation Group for the exterior restoration of St. Raphael Catholic Church at 225 East High Street in Springfield

Community Action Commission of Fayette County, The Woda Group and Chambers, Murphy & Burge Restoration Architects for rehabilitation of the 1913 Washington School at 318 N. North Street in Washington Court House as Washington School Apartments

Sustainable Communities Associates, Dimit Architects, Naylor Wellman, LLC, Lewin & Associates, and Turner Construction Company for rehabilitation of the 1930 Fairmont Creamery Ice Cream Building for mixed commercial use

City of Cleveland and City Architecture for preserving and interpreting the 1891 League Park site at 6601 Lexington Avenue in Cleveland

Famicos Foundation, City Architecture, Marous Brother Construction and Ted Sande, AIA Emeritus for rehabilitation of the 1922 Sovereign Hotel at 1575 East Boulevard in Cleveland as University Tower Apartments

Friends of the Flagpole Association and Ravenna Township Trustees for the restoration of the 1893 flagpole in Ravenna

Cristo Rey Columbus High School, Schooley Caldwell Associates, Benjamin D. Rickey & Company and Corna Kokosing Construction Company for rehabilitation of the former Ohio Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb building at 400 East Town Street in Columbus as Cristo Rey High School

New Village Corporation, Cleveland Neighborhood Progress and Noble Preservation Services, Inc. for the rehabilitation of St. Luke’s Hospital at 11311 Shaker Boulevard in Cleveland as St. Luke’s Manor

Posted October 19, 2015
Topics: All Topics

eNewsletter Sign-Up