Find the stone memorial recalling that this small park was the site of Fort Jefferson from 1791 to 1796. A confederacy of American Indians defeated Gen. Arthur St. Clair’s army in a 1791 battle that became known as “St. Clair’s Defeat,” and the army retreated to Fort Jefferson. Average visit time: Allow 30 minutes
Named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, then Secretary of State, Fort Jefferson was one of a chain of defensive forts built to protect army supplies from American Indians, it served as a supply base throughout the campaigns of Gen. St. Clair and Gen. Anthony Wayne, and was abandoned in 1796.
Fort Jefferson is managed locally by the Darke County Commissioners