Masks are no longer required but please practice social distancing whenever possible.
Fort Amanda was a major supply depot for the American army during the War of 1812. The original fort is no longer standing, but a granite monument built in 1915 marks the site of the fort. Located on the banks of the Auglaize River, the park also features a historic cemetery. The park is also home to a rich variety of plants and animals. Trails lead through wooded ravines, down to the river or out to the monument. Average visit time: Allow 1+ hour.
One of a series of forts extending north from Piqua to Fort Meigs (present day Perrysburg), Fort Amanda was built by order of General William Henry Harrison. Originally built in the fall of 1812 by Kentucky troops under the command of Lt. Col. Robert Pogue, the fort was enlarged to almost double the original size during the spring of 1813 by Ohio militia soldiers under the command of Capt. Daniel Hosbrook.
Fort Amanda is managed locally by the Johnny Appleseed Metropolitan Park District.