Masks are no longer required but please practice social distancing whenever possible.
Get a look at comfortable small-town life of the 1950s in the home of local industrialist Randolph Dorn and his wife, Estelle, built in 1844 for Eleutheros Cooke, father of Civil War financier Jay Cooke. Enjoy antique furniture, a beautifully-landscaped yard and exhibits on the history of the house. Average visit time: Allow 1+ hours
Sandusky’s first lawyer, Eleutheros Cooke was also a politician serving in the Ohio Legislature and U.S. Congress. He drew up the charter for the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad, and built other houses for the influx of settlers to the community. One of the founders of the Firelands Historical Society in Norwalk in 1857, Cooke helped preserve the early history of the area.
This historic house was purchased by Randolph and Estelle Dorn in 1951. Randolph was the son of John G. Dorn, a prosperous vintner. After extensive remodeling, the Dorns moved into the house in 1953 and the house now looks essentially as it did when the Dorns lived there. It features a large living room, spacious kitchen, bedrooms and a walk-through closet. It also features several interesting pieces of antique furniture from the nineteenth century.
The Cooke House is managed locally by The Old House Guild of Sandusky.