Ohio History Connection Logo
State Historic Preservation Office Awards
Share this page:


Each year, the State Historic Preservation Office recognizes achievements in historic preservation by presenting awards in Public Education and Awareness, and Preservation Merit.


The Public Education and Awareness Award is for increasing interest in historic preservation. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, media, newsletters, publications, interpretation, original research, educational programs, and special events which have substantially increased public understanding and awareness of historic preservation at the local, regional, or state level.

The Preservation Merit Award is for preserving Ohio's prehistory, history, architecture, or culture. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, restoring, rehabilitating, or otherwise preserving an important building or site, longtime stewardship of a property, promoting protective legislation, funding preservation projects, offering leadership, support, or service, and furthering preservation at the local, regional, or state level. 

Nomination Form - Nominations are due June 1
Chrome, Firefox and Safari users may be required to save this form to your computer before completing. This is caused by an Adobe Acrobat plugin within your browser. You can save the file by right clicking on the link above and choosing "save link as" or by clicking on the "save" icon after clicking the link above.

Past Recipients

2015 Recipients 

Public Education and Awareness

Cincinnati Preservation Association and the Cincinnati Museum Center for the exhibit Saving Buildings Together: 50 Years of Cincinnati Preservation

Historic Gateway Neighborhood Corporation for its Take a Hike downtown Cleveland walking tours

Ball State University’s Applied Anthropology Laboratories for increasing public awareness and interest in the preservation and protection of the battlefield at Fort Recovery 


Preservation Merit

Belmont County Commissioners; Chambers, Murphy & Burge Restoration Architects and Belmont College's Building Preservation/Restoration Program for rehabilitation of the 1890 Belmont County Sheriff's Residence at 101 East Main Street in St. Clairsville


Association of College and University Housing Officers – International, ROI Realty Services, Inc. and M. Warner Construction for rehabilitation of Orton Memorial Laboratory at 1445 Summit Street in Columbus

Sustainable Communities Associates, Dimit Architects, Naylor Wellman, LLC, Lewin & Associates, and Turner Construction Company for rehabilitation of the 1930 Fairmont Creamery Ice Cream Building for mixed commercial use

Scioto County Engineer, Otway Historical Society, Jones-Stuckey, Ltd, JA Barker Engineering and The Righter Company, Inc. for rehabilitation of the Otway Covered Bridge in Otway

Community Action Commission of Fayette County, The Woda Group and Chambers, Murphy & Burge Restoration Architects for rehabiliation of the 1913 Washington School at 318 N. North Street in Washington Court Hoiuse as Washington School Apartments.

City of Cleveland and City Architecture for preserving and interpreting the 1891 League Park site at 6601 Lexington Avenue in Cleveland

Famicos Foundation, City Architecture, Marous Brother Construction and Ted Sande, AIA Emeritus for rehabilitation of the 1922 Sovereign Hotel at 1575 East Boulevard in Cleveland as University Tower Apartments

Friends of the Flagpole Association and Ravenna Township Trustees for the restoration of the 1893 flagpole in Ravenna

Cristo Rey Columbus High School, Schooley Caldwell Associates, Benjamin D. Rickey & Company and Corna Kokosing Construction Company for rehabilitation of the former Ohio Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb building at 400 East Town Street in Columbus as Cristo Rey High School


New Village Corporation, Cleveland Neighborhood Progress and Noble Preservation Services, Inc. for the rehabilitation of St. Luke’s Hospital at 11311 Shaker Boulevard in Cleveland as St. Luke’s Manor

Thomas Gillespie for the rehabilitation of historic buildings on West 25th Street, Detroit Avenue and Jay Avenue in Cleveland’s Ohio City neighborhood

St. Raphael Catholic Church and Millennium Preservation Group for the exterior restoration of St. Raphael Catholic Church at 225 East High Street in Springfield