Visit this early Ohio church, a Federal-style landmark by master builder Lemuel Porter. Finished in 1825, it features a two-story portico and one-hundred-foot-high steeple with a weathervane. Little-changed from when it was built, Tallmadge Church would be equally at home on a New England green and is a reminder of northeast Ohio’s New England heritage. Average visit time: Allow 30 minutes
In 1807, the Reverend David Bacon founded the City of Tallmadge and, in 1809, the Congregational Church of Tallmadge. In 1819, a committee of seven men developed plans for building the church and appointed one of their members, Lemuel Porter, as the architect and builder. Porter's design included a wood brace-framed church featuring a Greek revival portico supported by four large columns and a dominant one-hundred foot high steeple with a copper weathervane. There are thirty-two windows and more than 1,100 individual panes of glass. It took three years to build the church; beginning July 1, 1822 and completed for the church dedication service on September 8, 1825.
The congregation moved to their Heritage Drive facility in 1969 and gave the historic church building to the Ohio History Connection in 1971.
Tallmadge Church is managed locally by the City of Tallmadge.