Lock 1 is currently undergoing a restoration/reconstruction project. The site currently has limited to no access. We apologize for the inconvenience. For more information, please contact Johnston Farm & Indian Agency
The extensive stair step canal lock walls, among the best preserved in Ohio, were part of the Miami and Erie Canal System, which opened for navigation in 1845 and connected Cincinnati and the Ohio River to Toledo and Lake Erie. For decades, the canal provided Ohio with valuable transportation and waterpower. The lockmaster's house, now a private residence, and a dry-dock basin for boat repair are still visible.
Lockington Locks is locally managed by the Johnston Farm Friends Council