Eight Ohio communities recently completed historic preservation projects aided by Certified Local Government matching grants awarded by the Ohio Historic Preservation Office of the Ohio History Connection.
An $11,519 grant awarded to the City of Alliance, administered by Alliance Area Preservation Society, helped replace the roof and install shutters on the Haines House, oldest brick house in Alliance, now used by the Preservation Society to educate visitors about the Underground Railroad in the area.
A grant of $5,715 was used by the Village of Burton to update the survey of the Historic District. In addition to raising public awareness of Burton’s historic resources, information from the survey supports local and national designation efforts, local review processes and Section 106 activities.
Canal Fulton Public Library administered a grant of $5,320 to the City of Canal Fulton to hire a preservation consultant to inspect the 1879 Sullivan House portion of the library an assess several moisture-related issues and recommend appropriate remedies. The work will provide the library with a maintenance and repair plan so that the historic Sullivan House can continue to serve the community.
A $10,000 grant to the City of Columbus, administered by Columbus Landmarks Foundation, helped prepare the documentation to nominate the Hanford Village George Washington Carver Historic District to the National Register of Historic Places. A pre-civil rights era, post-World War II Federal Housing Administration suburb built for, and marketed to, African American veterans. Click here to read more about Hanford Village.
Green Lawn Abbey Preservation Association, administering a grant to the City of Columbus, received $12,589 to restore four stained glass windows. Green Lawn Abbey is a neoclassical-style mausoleum listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its local architectural significance. The windows were deteriorating due to vandalism, neglect and exposure. The grant was used to restore the most at-risk windows and install protective coverings.
A $10,000 grant to the City of Cleveland, administered by Cleveland Restoration Society, was used to develop the historic overview and themes for a survey of sites associated with African American history in Cleveland. The project convened a task force of local historians and community leaders to identify themes in local African American history and historic resources related to those themes. The completed project has created a better understanding of African American history in Cleveland and the scope of historic places related to that history.
The City of Green was awarded $22,228 to continue rehabilitating the Eastlake-style Levi J. Hartong Farmhouse, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This phase of the project replaced the roof and gutters, removing non-functional modern fans and vents from the roof. The city plans to reuse the historic farmhouse in its park system.
A $6,492 grant to the Village of New Richmond helped repair the gutter system of the Ross Gowdy House. Home of Historic New Richmond, the local preservation organization, it also serves as the local history museum. The failing drainage system threatened the building. The project repaired the 19th-century box gutters and installed functional and appropriate downspouts.
The Village of Mt. Pleasant used a grant of $26,716 to repair the 200-year-old Quaker Meeting House, making it weather-resistant and improving interior climate control. Window and door repairs and drainage improvements will help preserve its structural integrity as well as its early 19th-century appearance. Built in 1814 as the first Quaker yearly meetinghouse west of the Alleghenies, it’s a major landmark in the well-preserved Mt. Pleasant Historic District, which is a National Historic Landmark district, the highest designation the federal government awards.
Learn more about Certified Local Government grants and the Certified Local Governments program and find out whether your community is a Certified Local Government at www.ohiohistory.org/clg.