Outstanding historic preservation achievements in communities throughout Ohio were honored with the 2013 Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards on Saturday, Sept. 28.
Ohio Historical Society Executive Director and State Historic Preservation Officer Burt Logan honored recipients with awards in two categories — Public Education and Awareness and Preservation Merit — during a luncheon at the German Village Meeting Haus in Columbus.
This year’s honors went to 16 recipients from 14 communities. Click on the links below to see photos and learn more.
Preservation Merit Award to Cincinnati City Schools and CR architecture + design for preservation and rehabilitation of Hughes STEM High School, at 2515 Clifton Ave.
Preservation Merit Award to Emily Rauh Pulitzer, Cincinnati Preservation Association and ArchitectsPlus for preservation and rehabilitation of the 1938 Frederick and Harriet Rauh House at 10068 Leacrest Road in Woodlawn.
Preservation Merit Award to Neil and Patricia Coleman and John R. Ankrom Architects for preservation and rehabilitation of the c.1820 Walke House at 381 Western Ave.
Preservation Merit Award to the Famicos Foundation, Marous Brothers Construction, City Architecture and Ted Sande, AIA Emeritus for the preservation and rehabilitation of the 1904 Doan School at 1350 E. 105th St. as the Doan Classroom Apartments.
Preservation Merit Award to Cleveland State University, Arkinetics architects + urbanists and Liberty Development Company for preservation and rehabilitation of the 1913 Union Building at Cleveland State University.
Preservation Merit Award to the City of Columbus, the German Village Society and the German Village Commission for 50 years of service to preserving the historic and architectural character of the city’s German Village Historic District and for inspiring similar efforts elsewhere.
Preservation Merit Award to Ohio Wesleyan University, Schooley Caldwell Associates and Lincoln Construction for preservation and rehabilitation of Stuyvesant Hall at Ohio Wesleyan University.
Preservation Merit Award to Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center and LCA Associates for the preservation and restoration of the Rutherford B. Hayes House at the historic Hayes estate, Spiegel Grove.
Preservation Merit Award to Larry Addis for his dedication to the preservation of Zion Wakefield Lutheran Chapel, at 7757 Greenville-Celina Road.
Preservation Merit Award to the Jamestown Area Historical Society, the Green County Commissioners and the Silvercreek Township Trustees for preservation and rehabilitation of the Jamestown Opera House at 19 N. Limestone St.
Preservation Merit Award to Paulding County Carnegie Library and All Trades Historical Restoration LLC for preservation and rehabilitation of the Paulding County Library at 205 S. Main St.
Public Education and Awareness Award to the City of Shaker Heights, Shaker Heights Landmarks Commission and Shaker Heights Public Library for the creation of www.Historic Shaker.com.
Preservation Merit Award to Auglaize County Commissioners and Garmann/Miller & Associates for preservation and rehabilitation of the 1894 Auglaize County Courthouse.
Preservation Merit Award to The Raymond John Wean Foundation and The Chesler Group, Inc. for preservation and rehabilitation of the 1868 Market Block Building at 147 W. Market St.
Preservation Merit Award to Central State University and LWC Incorporated for preservation and rehabilitation of Emery Hall at Central State University.
Preservation Merit Award to Youngstown State University, US Campus Suites LLC and City Architecture, for rehabilitation and adaptive use of the Erie Terminal Building at 112 W. Commerce St.
About the Awards
Celebrating 30 years of recognizing outstanding accomplishments in historic preservation, the Ohio Historic Preservation Office Awards have been presented annually since 1983 on the basis of nominations submitted from throughout the state.
The Public Education and Awareness Award is for increasing interest in historic preservation. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, media, newsletters, publications, interpretation, original research, educational programs and special events which have substantially increased public understanding and awareness of historic preservation at the local, regional or state level.
The Preservation Merit Award is for preserving Ohio’s prehistory, history, architecture or culture. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, restoring, rehabilitating or otherwise preserving an important building or site, longtime stewardship of a property, promoting protective legislation, funding preservation projects, offering leadership, support or service and furthering preservation at the local, regional or state level.
About the Ohio Historic Preservation Office
The Ohio Historic Preservation Office is Ohio’s official historic preservation agency. A part of the Ohio Historical Society, it identifies historic places in Ohio; nominates properties to the National Register of Historic Places; reviews federally-assisted projects for effects on historic, architectural and archaeological resources in Ohio; qualifies communities for the Certified Local Governments program and administers a program of matching grants to them; consults on the conservation of older buildings and sites; and offers educational programs and publications.
Click here to learn more about the Ohio Historic Preservation Office.
Bring Our Building Doctors to Your Community in 2014
Do old-building owners in your community have questions about how to maintain or rehab historic properties? Consider cosponsoring a Building Doctor Clinic. Each clinic begins with an informative two-hour seminar on caring for older buildings, including ways to recognize and solve common problems, followed by a day when the "doctors" will visit up to 10 buildings to examine problems and prescribe cures. Our first clinic was held in 1979. Since then, more than 235 have been held throughout Ohio. The Building Doctors are now taking requests for 2014. To learn more about bringing the Building Doctors to your community, contact Mariangela Pfister of the Ohio Historical Society's Ohio Historic Preservation Office at 614.298.2032 or firstname.lastname@example.org.