Seven historic preservation projects in six communities -- Columbus, Green, North Olmsted, Parma, Shaker Heights and Steubenville -- have been completed in recent months with the aid of Certified Local Government matching grants obtained through the State Historic Preservation Office of the Ohio History Connection.
The grants are made possible by an annual allocation from the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Historic Preservation Fund. The recent projects include:
A $20,931 grant to the City of Columbus, administered by Columbus Compact Corporation, produced a study of possible re-uses for the historic Franklin Park Trolley Barn complex. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Columbus Near East Side Historic District, the barns were used to maintain and store trolley cars that served the extensive Columbus streetcar system between 1883 and 1948. Reuse options focus on mixed uses including artists’ studios, living spaces and flexible arts/food/marketplace/event facilities.
Green Lawn Abbey Preservation Association, administering a grant to the City of Columbus, received $17,233 to restore elements of the principal façade of Green Lawn Abbey, a neoclassical-style mausoleum completed in 1927 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places for its design, workmanship and materials. The grant was used to eliminate the cause of water damage to the granite façade and restore bronze doors that are a prominent feature of the main entrance.
The City of Green was awarded $14,623 to begin rehabilitation of the National Register-listed Levi J. Hartong Farmhouse, completed in 1883. This initial phase removed modern additions that did not contribute to the historic character of the farmhouse. Removal of these components has restored the distinctive shape of this Eastlake-style house in preparation for reusing it as part of the city’s park system.
The City of North Olmsted used an $8,942 grant to update its survey of historic properties in the Butternut Ridge Historic District. In addition to raising public awareness of historic resources in North Olmsted, information from the survey supports local and National Register designation efforts, local design review processes and compliance with the federal Section 106 process.
An $18,214 grant to the City of Parma enabled West Creek Preservation Committee to repair masonry and restore the chimney at the 1849 Henninger House, oldest house in Parma. Completion of the work advances the committee’s goal of having this National Register-listed local landmark become the trailhead for the West Creek Greenway Trail System.
The City of Shaker Heights received a grant of $14,175 for a public education and heritage tourism project. The City worked with the Shaker Heights Public Library and Shaker Historical Society to create content for a free “Shaker Historical” mobile app. The app provides a GIS-enabled map that delivers historical information and archival images based on the user’s location. A by-product included digitizing the City’s building-index cards, which are now available to homeowners and researchers online.
The City of Steubenville used a $15,000 grant to develop the historic preservation component of an updated Comprehensive Plan. The City used the opportunity presented by the first comprehensive planning effort in over 50 years to integrate historic preservation policies, recommendations and strategies into the City’s planning, community development and economic revitalization efforts. This new comprehensive plan demonstrates the value the City places on Steubenville’s unique historic character.
Fifty-Six Communities Participate in Certified Local Governments Program
Each year, the State Historic Preservation Office re-grants 10 percent of its annual allocation from the federal Historic Preservation Fund to Certified Local Governments in Ohio. The grants aid communities in undertaking projects that preserve historic places. Participating communities have qualified to become Certified Local Governments by having a local historic preservation program in place that meets state and federal requirements. Fifty-six communities in Ohio are Certified Local Governments, ranging in size from Ohio’s largest cities to several villages and townships.
To learn more about the Certified Local Governments program and see a list of participating communities in Ohio, click here or call 614.298.2000.