The ‘70s come alive for the 21+ crowd when the Ohio History Connection’s Way Back Wednesdays series presents DISCOver the 1970s on March 20 from 6-9 p.m. at the Ohio History Center in Columbus.
Designed as an antidote for mid-week boredom, Way Back Wednesday: DISCOver the 1970s offers adults (21+) a 1970s-themed party where they can experience and (re)live the most fun, memorable parts of the 1970s with a cocktail in hand.
“It’s a party where history takes center-stage and guests can immerse themselves in the 1970s for a few enjoyable hours,” says Megan Wood, visitor experience manager for the Ohio History Connection. “Guests will walk through the doors and be transported back to a disco night club complete with:
• Music from the Bee Gees, Village People, Donna Summer, KC and the Sunshine Band, the Commodores and many others.
• Food and cocktails like Tequila Sunrises, Harvey Wallbangers, White Russians and white wine spritzers.
• A variety show featuring a Brady Bunch act and lip-syncing to 1970s favorites.
• Photo-ops in 1970s clothing and with stars from the decade (Cardboard KISS cutout, anyone?).
• Make-n-Take opportunities to create a few macramé items reminiscent of the decade’s style.
Guests are invited to get into the spirit of the decade by showing up in their best outfits of the 1970s.
A 1970s “Pop-Up Museum”
The party in the museum will also feature 1970s artifacts from the Ohio History Connection’s collections: 1970s clothing and fashion, music and television memorabilia and newspapers covering major events of the decade. Additionally, guests will have the opportunity to check out vintage muscle cars.
Way Back Wednesdays Series
DISCOver the 1970s is the third in the Way Back Wednesdays series that began last year with events focused on the 1980s and the 1920s. Following DISCOver the 1970s is an upcoming summer event, Retrorama, showcasing the 1950s.
“Way Back Wednesdays are geared for adults who want to experience history and socialize with friends in a fun environment,” Wood says. “We hope guests will learn about the decade and create great memories with coworkers and old and new friends.”
Buy Admission Now or at the Door March 20
Admission to Way Back Wednesday: DISCOver the 1970s is $12 online at www.ohiohistory.org/wayback or at the door March 20. $12 admission includes one drink ticket. Cash bar available. Age 21 and up.