Outstanding historic preservation efforts from communities throughout Ohio were honored with the 2012 State Historic Preservation Office Awards on Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012, in Columbus.
Ohio History Connection Executive Director and State Historic Preservation Officer Burt Logan honored recipients with awards in two categories -- Public Education and Awareness and Preservation Merit -- during a luncheon in Building 110 on the campus of Fort Hayes Metropolitan Education Center.
Located just east of downtown Columbus, historic Fort Hayes was a military base from the Civil War through the Vietnam War and has been adapted to educational use by Columbus City Schools. Building 110 served as the base mess hall for more than 150 years and is now the education center’s cafeteria. Preservation and rehabilitation of Building 110 was honored with an State Historic Preservation Office Award in 1993.
This year’s honors went to 11 recipients from 10 communities:
Preservation Merit Award to Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens, Colonial Brick Corporation and George Wischt and Sons Construction for restoration of 16 chimneys at Stan Hywet Hall.
Preservation Merit Award to Bloomfield/Schon + Partners and Turnbull-Wahlert Construction for preservation and rehabilitation of the 1921 American Can Company Building at 4101 Spring Grove Ave. as the American Can Lofts.
Preservation Merit Award to Holden Parks Trust, the City of Cleveland, Chambers Murphy Burge Architects and M-A Building and Maintenance Co. for restoration of the Wade Park Avenue Bridge in Rockefeller Park.
Preservation Merit Award to MRN Limited and City Architecture for preservation and rehabilitation of the Cleveland Club Building at 10660 Carnegie Ave. as the Tudor Arms Hotel.
Public Education and Awareness Award to Columbus Landmarks Foundation for the exemplary programs its Education Committee has created to foster community awareness of the city’s history and architecture.
Preservation Merit Award to Lorain County Historical Society and Arkinetics Inc. for rehabilitation of the 1857 Horace Starr House at 284 Washington Ave.
Preservation Merit Award to United Property Management and Arkinetics Inc. for preservation and rehabilitation of the 1906 Duane Building at 397-401 Broadway.
Preservation Merit Award to ASM International, The Chesler Group and Dimit Architects for preservation and rehabilitation of the ASM Headquarters Building at 9639 Kinsman Road.
Preservation Merit Award to National McKinley Birthplace Memorial and Library and Balog Steines Hendricks & Manchester for restoration of the National McKinley Birthplace Memorial at 40 N. Main St.
Preservation Merit Award to Karp & Associates and Prater Development for preservation and rehabilitation of the 1906 Standart-Simmons Hardware Company Building at 34 S. Erie St. as the Standart Lofts.
Preservation Merit Award to YWCA of Youngstown and Balog Steines Hendricks & Manchester for preservation and rehabilitation of the 1911 Youngstown YWCA Building at 24 W. Rayen Ave.
About the Awards
The State Historic Preservation Office Awards have been presented annually since 1983 on the basis of nominations from throughout the state.
The Public Education and Awareness Award is for increasing interest in historic preservation. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, media, newsletters, publications, interpretation, original research, educational programs and special events which have substantially increased public understanding and awareness of historic preservation at the local, regional or state level.
The Preservation Merit Award is for preserving Ohio’s prehistory, history, architecture or culture. Eligible activities include, but are not limited to, restoring, rehabilitating or otherwise preserving an important building or site, longtime stewardship of a property, promoting protective legislation, funding preservation projects, offering leadership, support or service and furthering preservation at the local, regional or state level.
Learn More and See the Recipients
To learn more about this year’s award-winning efforts, visit the State Historic Preservation Office website.