Ohio Village, Columbus
May 25, Saturday: 10 am- 5 pm
May 26, Sunday: Noon- 5 pm
Ohio Village will come alive with the heat, smoke, and noise of the Civil War complete with cavalry, battles, gun, and cannon demonstrations and Union and Confederate troops.
With Civil War reenactors and their horses camping in Ohio Village throughout the weekend, visitors can experience a living town at the center of the Civil War. Get a taste of civilian life during the Civil War, with period children’s games, music, dancing, and so much more.
Battle reenactments will take place at 1 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. With the help of living history interpreters, kids of all ages can experience life on the home- and war-front, including guard duty and everyday tasks like cleaning weapons and cooking. Additionally, visitors can:
- Visit a Soldiers’ Aid Society which will be set up in town, addressing needs of soldiers away from home.
- Call on sutlers who will be on hand selling period clothing and other items for men, women, and children.
- Drop by the camp of British military observers, to discuss the international impact of the American Civil War.
- Meet President Lincoln.
- Witness firing and artillery demonstrations.
- Watch blacksmithing demonstrations.
- Attend a Civil War wedding ceremony.
- Be a “crank” (spectator) at a vintage base ball (two words) match, an emerging pastime for soldiers.
- Learn period dancing and watch musical performances.
- Play 1860s children’s games.
- Hear a presentation about female spies in the Civil War.
Visitors can access Ohio Village through the Ohio History Center museum.
Admission (includes village and museum): $10/Adults, $9/Seniors, $5/Children 6-12, Free/Children 5 and under, Free/OHS Members. For questions, call 614-297-2300/800-686-6124.
To register as a reenactor click here. Reenactors can register by invitation only. To inquire about an invitation contact email@example.com.