Adena Mansion & Gardens
The dramatic stone home on a hill north of Chillicothe, Ohio, was the home of Thomas and Eleanor Swearingen Worthington and their ten children. The mansion and the grounds are important due to the role Thomas Worthington played in the history of Ohio through his public service.
Formerly the home of Eleutherus Cooke, this 1840's stone and brick home was moved to its current location in 1874. Sandusky's first lawyer, Cooke was also a politician serving in the Ohio Legislature and U.S. Congress. He drew up the charter for the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad, and built other houses for the influx of settlers to the community.
The house was built in 1846 and occupied by the Hanbys from 1853 to 1870. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. From their house and barn, Benjamin Hanby and his father, Bishop William Hanby, ran a busy station on the Underground Railroad.
When Warren G. Harding stepped out onto the steps of this home in Marion, Ohio to begin his “front porch” campaign, did he know he was launching the first “modern” presidential campaign?
The Hayes Presidential Center contains the residence of Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th president of the United States, a library and museum, and the tomb of the president and his wife Lucy Webb Hayes.
John Johnston's numerous contributions to the growth of early Ohio and settlement of frontier America are presented in a truly unique and beautiful setting.
The McCook House was the home of Major Daniel McCook, who with his nine sons and the five sons of his brother Dr. John McCook, became known as the "Fighting McCooks" because of their contribution to the military, especially in the Civil War.
During the early 1800s, Henry Cushing’s Ohio River Tavern, “Our House,” was the center of the Gallipolis community’s social life for many years.
The Rankin House, located in Ripley, Ohio, was an important stop on the Underground Railroad, which provided safe houses for slaves who were escaping to Canada.
Schoenbrunn, founded in 1772 as a Moravian mission among the Delaware Indians, was the first Christian settlement in Ohio.
Founded by the German religious dissenters called the Society of Separatists of Zoar in 1817 as a communal society, Zoar today is an island of Old-World charm in east-central Ohio. Many of the German-style structures built by the Zoarites have been restored and are open to the public as Zoar Village State Memorial. Others are privately-owned, and serve as residences, shops, restaurants and bed and breakfast inns.