Why is this site important?
Fort Jefferson Park and monument marks the site of an advance outpost of General Arthur St. Clair, built in October 1791. It was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, then Secretary of State. One of a chain of defensive forts built to protect army supplies from Indians; it served as a supply base throughout the campaigns of General St. Clair and General Anthony Wayne. It was abandoned in 1796.