All of Ohio's prehistoric peoples used Flint Ridge flint to make their spearpoints, arrowheads, or other tools, but the Hopewell culture (100 BC—AD 500) especially prized it. Hopewell flintknappers used it to make particular kinds of small knives called bladelets.
European Americans quarried Flint Ridge flint in historic times. They used it to make "buhr stones," stone grinding wheels used in flourmills. Today, Flint Ridge flint is polished to make jewelry and is recognized as the State of Ohio's official gemstone.
Flint Ridge flint is particularly distinctive for its bright coloration. The most common type is white with light gray streaks, but the most sought-after colors included various shades and combinations of red, yellow, blue, and green.
Flint Ridge State Memorial is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Charles Smith, who later changed his name to Gerard Fowke, made the first systematic study of Flint Ridge in the 1880s. He published the results of his survey in the 1884 annual report of the Smithsonian Institution and in his 1902 book entitled Archaeological History of Ohio.
William C. Mills, former Curator of Archaeology for the Ohio History Connection, did the most important study of Flint Ridge around 1920. He surveyed and excavated many quarry pits and workshop sites. Mills learned that the Hopewell culture was responsible for the bulk of the flint quarrying at Flint Ridge. They dug the flint from the pits and chipped it at nearby workshops into two basic forms: leaf-shaped bifaces (a biface is a flint flake or slab worked on both the front and back); and, small, cone-shaped cores for making long, thin bladelets.
In the summers of 1987 and 1988, Richard Yerkes, a professor of anthropology at Ohio State University, dug several test pits and systematically collected artifacts from the surface at Flint Ridge State Memorial. The goals of Yerkes' study were to test Mills' ideas about how the Hopewell culture used Flint Ridge, and to see if he could find evidence of Hopewell villages at the ridge. Yerkes found no evidence that Hopewell people ever lived at Flint Ridge, but he did conclude that Mills was right about Hopewell flint working.
In the fall of 1997, Ohio History Connection archaeologists Bradley Lepper and William Pickard excavated a large area at Flint Ridge that was to become the site of a picnic shelter. They excavated more than 1400 cubic feet of earth and recovered nearly a ton of flint tools and discarded chips. This work also confirmed Mills' conclusions. Most of the tools found were bifaces, cores, and bladelets made by the Hopewell culture.