Download these instructions as a PDF.
Thank you for your interest in the History Fund, a new grant program of the Ohio Historical Society. The program is funded entirely by donations to the Ohio Historical Society. Most of these donations are made by Ohio taxpayers, who contribute a portion of their income tax refunds to the Ohio Historical Society through their IT-1040 tax returns. The rest is given by other generous contributors who donate to OHS and direct their gifts to the History Fund. The inclusion of a donation box on the IT-1040 for OHS was made possible in the Fiscal Year 2011 State of Ohio budget, passed by the General Assembly and signed into law by Gov. John Kasich.
This new grant program also includes a new way of accepting grant applications: the process is entirely online. No paper applications are available. It is possible, however, to save and print all grant materials using your computer. The History Fund strongly recommends that you do this, and that you draft your application using your word processing program on your computer. When it is ready for submission, you can “cut and paste” your draft into the appropriate sections of the online application.
There are seven parts to the History Fund application, plus a helpful checklist and appendix:
1) Grant Project Data
2) Applicant Information
3) Elected Officials
4) Project Narrative
5) Budget Form
6) Abstract, and
• History Fund Grant Submission Checklist
• Appendix – Request for Proposal Information
For best results, the History Fund recommends that you complete the Applicant Data, Project Narrative, and Budget Form of the application first. This information can then be used to complete the Grant Project Data and Abstract sections. You can complete the Elected Officials section at anytime.
To make the online application process go smoothly, please note:
• Uploads: There are several documents you will need to electronically attach ("upload") to your application. You will need to scan these documents, save them on your computer and upload them to the History Fund application. You may also use the Fax to File tool located in the upper left corner of the application web page to fax documents to a toll-free number, save to your computer, and them upload them to the History Fund application where requested. We suggest creating a folder to hold all of your History Fund application-related documents for easy storage and retrieval.
• Five form templates are provided in the application: 1) Budget Form, 2) Construction Budget Form, 3) Match Summary, 4) Work Schedule, and 5) Signatures of Authorization form. To use these forms, click on a form, save it to your computer, complete and save the form on your computer and then upload the saved form to the History Fund application.
• When entering information in fields, note that using the enter key after entering data will automatically cause the application to save. Press the "continue" button to proceed/return to the application. To avoid this for each entry, press the Tab key to jump to the next field. However, we suggest that you save your application as a draft (see the Save as Draft button at the end of the application web page) regularly so you do not lose your work.
As you draft your application, keep in mind the job of a grant proposal:
• It outlines a need.
• It describes your solution for that need.
• It describes how support from the History Fund will enable you to implement that solution.
• It explains how that solution will benefit your organization and community.
For the guidelines governing the History Fund, including the goals of the fund, eligibility requirements, funding categories, grant minimums and maximums, and match requirements, see the document Ohio Historical Society’s History Fund Grant Guidelines (hereafter Guidelines). Please contact the Ohio Historical Society’s Local History Office if you have questions. We are here to help!
Ohio Historical Society
Local History Office
800 East 17th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43211
Table of Contents Grant Project Data Applicant Information Elected Officials Project Narrative Work Schedule Form
(Opens in Excel) Budget Form Sample Budget Form
(Opens in Excel)
Budget Form (Opens in Excel)
Construction Budget Form
Abstract Signatures Signature Authorization Form
(PDF) Grant Submission Checklist Appendix - Request for Proposal Information