In 1885, a group of leading citizens met to form the Ohio State Archaeological and Historical Society to preserve the state's past and address concern that the state's past was being lost entirely or sent away to museums and libraries in other states and countries.
Today, that organization is called the Ohio History Connection, and its activities reach into every part of the state.
The Ohio History Connection's archaeology holdings consist of more than 4,700 separate collections containing more than one million objects. Striking examples include the Adena Pipe, copper and obsidian artifacts from the Hopewell Mound Group, the Tremper effigy pipes and Adena engraved tablets. Other less visually spectacular items provide important information about the cultures that produced them. All these collections also provide the bases for current and future major archaeological research projects, exhibits and educational programs.
The first site in the Ohio History Connection's site system was the Fort Ancient Earthworks, which was acquired in 1891. The Fort Ancient Earthworks, a National Historic Landmark, are a series of earthen embankments that extend for more than 3½ miles around a high bluff along the Little Miami River in southwestern Ohio. Other archaeological sites in the OHS network include the Newark Earthworks a National Historic Landmark and Ohio's state prehistoric monument, and Serpent Mound, a National Historic Landmark.