What is needed to submit a General Research Request?
We have received our collections over the course of more than a century from thousands of different organizations, governments, and private individuals. These rich and varied information resources are not arranged in a way that allows us to type in a name and find out every place in our archives where that name appears. In general, we need to know the following four things in order to search our collections for the information that will complement your research.
- The subject or name of the individual being researched
- The type of event/record being researched (for example: marriage)
- The county or city in Ohio where the event took place
- The approximate year of the event
The basic research fee covers a 10-year time span of your choosing for a name or subject.
You can use our Online Collection Catalog to help determine if we hold the record collections of interest to your research.
General Research Request Fees
The base fee for research is $25.00 per hour. Research requests are for searching one name in one specific type of indexed record or record group during a time period that covers up to a 10-year span. The fee includes four scanned or photocopied pages. Additional pages are billed at $.25 per scan or photocopy when the research is completed. After the first hour is completed, the researcher will receive a price estimate of the research needed to complete the request. Research Requests must be prepaid with the initial fee of $25.00.
There are two methods to submit a request:
- Email email@example.com with your question. If it can be answered, a reply with instructions on how to submit and pay for your request through the Ohio History Store will be emailed to you.
- Mail a Research Request Form with a check or money order made payable to the Ohio History Connection for $25.00 to Research Services at the Ohio History Connection, 800 E. 17th Ave., Columbus, OH 43211.
Tips for Submitting a Research Request
Do not send requests asking for "all" information available about a subject, family name, or specific person. Requests for "anything" or "everything" are too broad to be completed in the time period allotted for your request. Examples of the type of General Research Requests that our staff can do include:
- Public record research request: "Please send me the Franklin County, Ohio, will record of John Doe, who died sometime between 1880 and 1889."
- Audio/visual research request: "Please send me a picture of Union Station in Columbus during the 1880s."
- Book research request for family history: "Please look through your Darke County History Book Collection for the tombstone inscription information of John Doe, who died in 1868."
- Book research request for business history: "Please look through your Columbus books for information about the M. C. Lilley & Company, which made ornamental swords around 1870."
If you have any questions about submitting a Research Request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614.297.2510.