What is needed to submit an Indexed Public Record Request?
An Indexed Public Record Copy Request requires specific information about who, what, where, and when an event happened that would have been documented by an Ohio government office. The exact citation to the event should have the following:
- Full Name of the person documented by the record
- Type of record
- Year or Date that the event occurred
- City or County in Ohio where the event occurred
Examples of types of Ohio government records that are commonly reviewed as indexed public record requests include:
- Birth, Death, Marraige, Will or Estate Case Files submitted to Ohio's Probate Courts
- Military Roster Entries
- Veterans’ Grave Registration Entries
- Incarceration/Prison Records
- County Auditor Tax Records
- Naturalization Records
- Secretary of State Incorporation Records
You can use the Online Collection Catalog to help determine if we hold the record collections of interest to your research.
Indexed Public Record Request Fees
The base fee is $12.00 ($12.90 for Ohio residents) per record request or name. The base fee includes up to 4 pages of copies (per record or item requested). The charge for each additional page is $0.25. Copy requests must be PREPAID.
There are two methods to request the record:
- Email email@example.com your question. If it can be answered, a reply with instructions on how to submit and pay for your request through the Ohio History Store will be emailed to you.
- Mail the Indexed Public Record Form with a check or money order made payable to the Ohio History Connection for $12.00 ($12.90 for Ohio residents) to Research Services at the Ohio History Connection, 800 E. 17th Ave., Columbus, OH 43211.
DO NOT SEND CASH. No refund will be provided for records that are searched but not found. Due to the number of requests received, please allow up to thirty (30) days for a response to your inquiry. We do not cash payment until we have finished processing the request.
Examples of Indexed Public Record Requests include:
- Please send me the 1890 birth record of John Doe from Franklin County, Ohio.
- Please copy the final naturalization record of John Doe from Hamilton County in 1899.
- Please send me the 1872 record of admission to the Ohio Penitentiary for John Doe.
If you have any questions about submitting an Indexed Public Record Request, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614.297.2510.