How to Start a History Day Club
• Talk to other Social Studies and/or other teachers and media specialists who might be willing to help.
• Recruit students to participate in the club. The National History Day in Ohio staff will be glad to make a presentation at your school about the program.
• You also may want to have a parent advisor as well who would be willing to hold meetings at their house on weekends and non-school days.
• Once you are organized, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or a letter to the National History Day in Ohio office at the Ohio Historical Society requesting to be added to the mailing list. Include the name(s) of Teacher/ Parent advisors, contact information, School address, Phone and E-mail. Once your club is registered with the National History Day in Ohio Office, you will receive a packet containing information about the program.
• Create a Constitution and By-Laws for your club explaining the purpose of your organization, membership, officer's duties, elections, meetings, dues and fundraising, and amendments.
Helpful documents for History Day Clubs
o Advisor Materials List
o Sample Parent Letter
o Contacts Form
o History Day Club Charter
o Sample Outline of Constitution and Bylaws
o History Day Club Purpose and Goals
o History Day Timeline
o Flyer Template
o History Day Club Possible Activities