The Library has more than 53,000 rolls of microfilm containing more than 3000 titles of Ohio Newspapers.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Procedures
The Ohio Historical Center houses a non-circulating research archives/library — the only material that we loan through ILL is some of our microfilm.
AVAILABLE through Interlibrary Loan
- Newspaper microfilm – Search our LIBRARY AND NEWSPAPERS database in our Online Collections Catalog. Add “npdb” to the end of your search term to limit the search to only newspapers. We loan newspapers that have a call number “Roll:” followed by a # (ex. Roll: 36371). We do not loan newspapers that have a call number “N” followed by a # and “Vol.” followed by a # (ex. N409 Vol. 076). Those papers are hard-copy and available for use only in our library.
- Microfilm of manuscript collections for which the Ohio History Connection holds the original material.
- Some other printed material on microfilm.
UNAVAILABLE through Interlibrary Loan
- Printed material
- Manuscript material (not held on microfilm)
- Microfilmed manuscript collections for which the Ohio History Connection does not hold the original material.
- Government record microfilm: such as census , marriage, birth, death, and naturalization records
- Photocopies or PDF files. Due to time constraints, OHS staff does not provide copies of newspaper articles or obituaries, nor do they do newspaper research. Photocopies of other types of indexed, printed materials may be obtained by following these guidelines for copy requests. If you need more extensive research and are unable to visit the Ohio History Connection these private researchers have indicated an interest in doing research for a fee.
How to Order
We accept requests for borrowing microfilm by the following methods:
- OCLC FirstSearch (preferred)
- Regular mail (see address below)
- FAX (see FAX number below)
Requests must come from a library and be submitted on library letterhead or an official form so that we know the request is from a library, rather than directly from a patron or individual.
Fees and Other Policies
- Our fee for loaning microfilm to U.S. libraries is $5.00 per roll. The loan fee for libraries located outside of the U.S. is calculated based on actual mailing costs. Please contact email@example.com for a price quote.
- Prepayment is not required. If orders are not prepaid, please request that we invoice the $5.00 per roll fee. We will then send an invoice with the film.
- We accept payment via OCLC IFM or by check or money order. Checks should be made payable to the ‘Ohio History Connection’.
- Loan period is 28 days.
- Loaned material must be kept in the borrowing library at all times.
- A library may have a maximum of 10 microfilm rolls from us at one time.
- One renewal for up to 28 days is generally permitted, unless other researchers have requested the material. There is no charge to renew a loan.
Ohio History Connection
800 E. 17th Avenue
Columbus, OH 43211
Phone: (614) 297-2510
FAX: (614) 297-2546